Need some great reasons to join ASPA? Look no further! Here are just some of the great benefits ASPA members enjoy.
Local Chapter Membership
ASPA Chapters provide an unparalleled opportunity for public administrators—practitioners, students and academics alike—to meet and network within their geographic area. Most Chapters host networking luncheons, workshops and seminars. Many present awards. Chapters meet regularly and keep you up‐to‐date about your local public service community. No Chapter in your area? Start one! Contact Melissa Jun at 202‐585‐4309 for details.
ASPA has 30 special interest Sections, ranging from finance and budgeting to crisis management. Our Sections publish outstanding scholarly journals and newsletters that keep you current in the fields in which you work or study. Learn more about a specialized field of interest. As an expert, share your knowledge and skills through Section‐sponsored symposiums or sign up as an ASPA expert. Get involved today!
ASPA produces a series of e‐publications that feature practical advice on public administration leadership and management issues from renowned practitioners and scholars. Leadership Insights offers members a resource that is relevant, informative and easily digestible.
Stay connected with the rest of the public administration community! ASPA's e-newsletter, The Bridge, is distributed twice-monthly and includes the latest information from across the discipline. To sign up click here:
National Chapter Voice
Local Chapter Voice
Free Professional Development Webinars
Every month, ASPA members get exclusive access to professional development opportunities through a robust program of professional development webinars. Hear from experts in the field about best practices and trends that are changing the field. Members register for free! (Non-members pay $75/program.)
Link here for the calendar.
Free Participation in ASPA BookTalks
Learn about the latest books on the field’s hottest topics with the ASPA BookTalk series. Enjoy conversations with authors of provocative books in the public affairs arena. Members register for free! (Non-members pay $75/program.)
Public Administration Review (PAR)
Enjoy a free member subscription to PAR, the top journal in public administration for the last 75 years. Stay current on topics and research important to today’s public administrators.
Advancing Excellence in Public Administration
For many, the best reason to join ASPA is to support the public service and those in the field of public administration and management. As an ASPA member, you have a powerful and important voice in strengthening the perception of government by the general public. Whether you're making that voice heard through committee participation or through serving on the National Council, seize this opportunity!
PA TIMES and PA TIMES Online
Enjoy a free member subscription to ASPA’s quarterly magazine, PA TIMES. Focusing on concerns of public administrators, it highlights best practices in the field and news you can use. PA TIMES Online, issued twice weekly, contains the latest commentary from public administrators on current happenings. This valuable benefit is the perfect outlet through which you can share your knowledge and experience.
The ASPA Annual Conference
With more than 1,200 attendees, ASPA Annual Conferences are where experts from all levels and fields of public administration gather to discuss the latest in public service trends and share valuable information.
Extensive Volunteer, Leadership and Networking Opportunities
ASPA offers countless opportunities to volunteer. Volunteering can be done on a local, regional or national level. Choose the opportunity that is best for you and add it to your professional credentials. Gain exposure to the field and bolster your resumé by becoming a leader. Be part of a vast network of public administration professionals. ASPA members use this network to draw on experience, best practices, mentoring and a host of other professional and personal needs.
ASPA can help you build a more secure future with a wide variety of insurance options. Because of your ASPA membership, these plans are offered to you at affordable group rates. To learn more about this program for ASPA members and their families, click here.
PublicServiceCareers.org is a public job search site but ASPA members get direct alerts through e-newsletters showing some of the most recent job postings. Be among the first to know when you join ASPA !Resources
• The Founders' Fellows program provides a special cohort of ASPA student and new professional members with a year of
benefits and distinct advantages.
• The Student and New Professional Summit at ASPA's Annual Conference provides a dedicated day of education specifically geared toward members starting their careers.
• The International Young Scholars Workshop takes a small cohort of scholars to an international location every year to study particular areas of public policy and use their research to make an impact on public administration.
• ASPA's Awards Program provides awards and scholarships to students every year with varying degrees of benefits associated. Find more information when you review ASPA's Awards Program.
• ASPA's Endowment provides limited funds to support students' efforts across public administration. Find more information when you learn more about the Endowment.
• ASPA's Student and New Professionals webinar series provides you with necessary knowledge to take the next steps in your career—whether on an academic track or as a practitioner. Even more, you can find previous programs archived in our e-learning portal to use today!
• Interested in getting published through ASPA? Not only do our Section journals provide opportunities, but so does ASPA through PA Times magazine and Online! Check out more information here and review our Student and New Professional publishing guidelines here.
Student and New Professional Summit
The Student and New Professional Summit takes place during ASPA's Annual Conference. The next Summit for 2018 is yet to be determined. Presentations from the 2017 Summit can be accessed by clicking the links below.
Patricia Shields, Texas State University
International Young Scholars Workshops
The International Young Scholars Workshop aims to provide young scholars working in public policy, public administration and related subfields with an academically rigorous platform for the presentation of research and scholarly exchange. Research in all areas of public administration and policy are eligible.
In 2006, ASPA launched the Founders’ Fellows program, aimed at supporting the next generation of public service leaders through a series of professional development opportunities. The Fellows attend and present at the Annual Conference and write a subject matter paper on an issue related to their scholarship or work, which is published in PA TIMES Online.
Initially open to graduate students, the Fellowship program has expanded to include new professionals in the first five years of their public service career. In 2015, the program significantly strengthened its visibility, content and offerings. This year’s class of 23 Fellows—selected following the most competitive process to date—participated in a year-long series of activities that included ongoing mentoring, webinars and more.
"Being a Founders’ Fellow has given me an unmatched opportunity to build lasting relationships in public administration. I had the chance to meet outstanding individuals from around the world who will undoubtedly become future leaders in their organizations and in the public administration community. Getting to know my cohort, their work and their passions about enhancing governance, civics and democracy domestically and around the globe was not only enlightening but also inspirational."
- Will Swann, Florida State University, 2015 Founders' Fellow
• Complimentary attendance at the Annual Conference, where they present their research
• Complimentary admission to Conference events and hotel accommodations
• One-year ASPA membership
• An exclusive mentorship with senior mentors who are matched with them based on academic and professional interests
• Tailored professional development webinars that address their specific educational and professional needs
• Personal and professional development through their senior mentor match